Assigned Static IP address for your tablet (Strongly Recommended) A Static IP address will prevent your tablet's IP address from changing. If your IP address changes, your Point of Sale could disconnect from Fresh KDS.
*Note: Fresh KDS will not work if you use your Square device as a hotspot.
Step 1: Download the Fresh KDS App.
1. Download the Fresh KDS App onto your dedicated tablet.
2. Open the Fresh KDS app, and log in using your account credentials.
3. Give your KDS screen a descriptive name. E.g. Espresso, Salad Bar, or ToGo.
Using multiple screens? Be sure to include the station in the name.
4. Select ‘Square POS’ as your POS system.
If using Square for Restaurants, this is provided as a separate option.
5. Select your Integration Type.
Orders API (Cloud) Pros: More reliable, easier setup, improved user data. Cons: No open tickets, Order types display as 'For Here,' requires internet." 🛑 If using Orders API, complete the steps in our Orders API setup guide before proceeding further.
Treat KDS as a Printer (Printer Emulation) Pros: No internet required, works with open checks, and shows order types. Cons: Occasionally unreliable, more complex setup, possible parsing issues. 🛑If treating KDS as a Printer, complete the steps in our alternative setup guide for printer emulation before proceeding further.
Step 2: Place your Fresh KDS tablet in the kitchen.
1. Choose where to place your Fresh KDS screen.
Some place it right above a prep station.
Others find that mounting it on a nearby wall with a waterproof case is best.
2. If using multiple screens, be sure the name matches the station placement.